Help, is anger and violence common?

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Help, is anger and violence common?

Postby gg101 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Hello,
My father-in-law was diagnosed about two weekes ago with ADEM at Rush Hospital in Chicago. Three weeks prior to that he was misdiagnosed with MS at a different hospital. He is on steroids and he did have the plasma exchange treatment.

He is 50 years old. After the treatment he regained strength but he is still not able to see well. That is how it started, his vision became blurry and then he lost it completely. He was then unable to stand on his own and had to be in a wheelchair. After the treatment he was moved to a different floor in the hospital for aggressive physical therapy and either language or speech therapy. We were also told that he has a severe case of aphasia. Which they believe was triggered by this.

He is not cooperating in therapy and he has become very angry and mean, not just with the doctors but with us, his family and even his wife. It just happens from one minute to another and today he became slightly violent. Has that happened with anyone? We dont know what to do with him, the nurses dont even want to deal with him in the hospital and we think they are going to try and put him in a psych ward? Any information will help.
gg101

Re: Help, is anger and violence common?

Postby kikibird1234 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:40 pm

My sixteen year old son was just diagnosed with ADEM this month. He was treated with massive steroids and I was told they would make him jittery. He was very aggressive and made some violent remarks that were not typical of him. He was argumentative and had what I would call a "wild animal" look about him. Once the steroids wore off, he was back to his old self. I hope this helps. I can't believe how much steroid helped him get better, but the aggressiveness side effect lingered about a week after his last dose.
kikibird1234

Postby tshirtmommy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:38 pm

I was dx with ADEM 2005. My personality has been scared sevearly. i have little patience and yell a lot. I have taken anger management classes and even take leapro and wellbutrin. Im still angry all the time. I know this is awful but what can I do? I am 33 and dont know who I am.
tshirtmommy

Postby SUZIE » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:16 pm

hi,
My son was diagnosed with ADEM when he was 4. He is now 12. His behavioural problems are getting worse and he is a different boy to what he was before the disease. Our family is suffering and obviously he is suffering. He is violent and has regular outbursts and is uncontrollable.
We don't know what to do.
Any ideas of help?
Thank you
SUZIE

Postby marieblond » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:04 am

I feel the helplessness deep within me, but I do not show. the men are different...
I hope to hold it in me, do not wand drugs against it. :|

cross my fingers for your dad. tell him something on us. tell him - he is not allone, and that their is a chance for improvements....
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
marieblond

Postby bally » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:26 pm

I was diagnosed with adem in Dec 2008. My mom told me how aggressive I was being as I don't remember when I was admitted into hospital. Now It has calmed down but there is still anger and I get annoyed and angry so easily. I was told by my neurologist that this is something to be expected. I get annoyed at myself for gettin angry and annoyed at just the littleist of things. It could be from somebody joking about with me to somebody just having a conversation with me.
bally

Postby Greta'sMom » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:02 pm

The follow up program our daughter is in for her ADEM includes behavioral testing, if wanted. We took advantage of this and our 9 year old has since worked with the psychologists. We also had to fill out forms on her behavior issues and we get the results and recommendations sometime next month.
On our own, we've had a personality type test done for our daughter - a fun board game style for kids - and we are trying to validate her strengths as much as possible. When we affirm who she is, regardless of the ADEM issues, it helps her to be less aggressive and angry.
Greta'sMom

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)