Curling toes

discuss symptoms related to arms, legs, torso and neck; solutions and what works for you

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Curling toes

Postby timu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:56 am

Curling Toes....
Ok one more weird thing that no one has been able to help me with. The toes on L foot [which is most affected] curl up all the time when "relaxed". When I have more pain they curl more.
I practice stretching them [trying to straighten them] almost constantly. My PT had no suggestions other than "trying to straighten them". I do this with my hand and trying with those muscles alone.
Does anyone else have this?
Are there splints or orthotics?
Should I try a podiatrist?
Thanks
Tim
Still adapting
timu

Re: Curling toes

Postby mona » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:55 am

My used to curl back also. My mother in law thought I was doing it on my own and thought...wow...what muscle control I had!!! Ha! Thats when I told her there was NO muscle control. I was told to try to roll my foot on a tennis ball to stimulate some activity. It helped. After 2.5 years they no longer curl.
Every day above ground is a good day
mona

Postby marieke » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 am

It is from a spasm. Mine do that on the left foot.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby timu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

I know this topic may sound trivial to many but when I walk the tops of my toes hurt from hitting my shoes. I know I can get shoes with more room for my "claw" toes, but I would like to try to improve this condition rather than just make accommodations.
I will break out the tennis ball tonight!
Tim
Still adapting
timu

Postby Louise E » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi Timu
Yes I too have trouble with my toes curling. Keep on stretching! Try using a 'towel stretch' ie.sit on floor with legs stretched out in front, use a towel holding one end in each hand & centre looped around you foot. Then lay flat on your back and gently pull your leg up straight using the towel.This can stretch your hamstrings, calves, achilles & the muscles on the bottom of your foot. Hold each stretch for 15-20 seconds. My pt believes stretching all these muscle groups can help with the foot problem. Another useful tip (from my son) is using a massage ball instead of tennis ball, these are rubber/plastic balls with rounded spikes so as you roll the ball under your foot you get a massaging affect that stimulates circulation. Your pt may have one of these you could try before buying, if buying one for the first time be sure to get one with smooth well rounded spikes, I found I couldn't use my son's massage ball (he used it for getting rid of knots in shoulder muscles after swim training) because it was too 'spikey'.
Hope the above makes sense. Good luck!
Louise
PS: Best remedy of all is a great foot massage with lotion or essential oils best carried out by a caring partner (definitely my favourite).
Louise E

Postby May » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Louise: where do you get these massage balls? They sound like the clothes dryer balls. Are they similar to that.

I bought a Brookstone iSqueez foot massager after I came out of rehab and it seems to help. I got it on eBay for a lot less than the store price. It was particularly useful in the beginning when my feet constantly felt like they were frozen. A round with the massager seemed to restore sensation at least temporarily.
Diagnosed with TM 09/05/2008
May

Postby Louise E » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi May
We got our massage balls from a sports store but I remember seeing them stocked at the pt clinic some time later. If you have trouble finding one perhaps ask you pt or please let me know & I'll try to find out the manufacturers name. (I'm in Brisbane Australia but I'm sure they would be available in the US.) They were not expensive & I also try to remember to take one with me when I travel to help with circulation.
Louise
Louise E

Postby marieblond » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:57 am

very usefull if hard enough --- sometimes I had the pattern of the bars on my feet.... ;;)

http://www.resi.cz/index.php?item=5028.000&setlang=de

(sports shop or sanitätshaus....)
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
marieblond

Postby May » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks Louise and Marie. The massage balls do look like the dryer balls. I also see something called goosebump massage balls on Amazon, but they are discontinued.
Diagnosed with TM 09/05/2008
May

Postby John H. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 am

Curling toes oh yes,That's how my doctor found out I had some kind of back problem.By taking a spoon on the bottom of feet and they curl.Still have problem at night.I had 1st TM attack at 34 T6-T7 became 90% better no curls walked fine.2nd attack 49 now 51 walking disability other,,,, only 65% and yes doctor used spoon on feet and curls worse.Well I can't stop it ,I just learn to deal with it......and just be happy. John H.
John H.

Postby Louise E » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi Timu
I was just wondering how the toes are? Have you tried any of the remedies or suggestions here & if so have they helped? Hope all is well.
Louise
Louise E

Postby timu » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:38 am

Louise,

Thank you for the reply.
To be honest I have not done much of anything lately.
About 2 and a half weeks ago I had a chest xray to confirm how I felt.....pneumonia.
I was feeling bad for a couple weeks before that with a cold etc. I took the antibiotics he prescribed and took a couple days off work. I have been improving steadily but for a long time I went home after work and really just went to bed. Watched a movie with the kids and rested.
I know it started with allergies and kind of lingered because of them as well. I normally treat my allergies with over counter meds but had the Dr. prescribe something stronger. That has really helped the last couple of days. After my first dose I realized I better take that at night because on top of my other meds it really threw me for a loop.

I have started zanaflex and am taking less baclofen. That has helped reduce the spasticity but I know I need to do the exercises to gain muscle control over that left foot.
Tim
Still adapting
timu

Postby Sew » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:08 am

Tim,
The Zanaflex will make you really really tired at first. I only take 4 mg before bed. I also take the Baclofen 40 mg per day in 4 divided doses.
The Zanaflex was supposed to be started with 1mg at bedtime. Then 2 mg at bedtime. Then 1mg at 6pm and 2mg at bedtime. I was supposed to do this til 1mg at 6pm and 4mg at bedtime. Well, when I started it we were just ready to go on a family visit for a couple of weeks. Taking the bedtime one was fine. But taking the 1mg at 6pm was too much. I was sitting talking to my sister-in-law and kept falling asleep (trying to look awake and interested in the conversation). I stopped taking the med at 6pm, thought I would wait til we got home again. But I found that just taking the bedtime one is fine. It sure acts like a sleeping pill for me too. My body is much more relaxed and I have now ended up getting a good nights sleep.
I know that the norm is that we do not have changes much after 2 years. Well, I'm going to be at 7 years in Sept and I now sleep a good 8 to 9 hours per night and only wake up once (maybe twice) to go to the bathroom then right back to sleep. In the beginning I slept a lot during the day and night but then had trouble sleeping at night so was up for 3 or 4 hours at night. A vicious circle.

Heather in Calgary
When given lemons, make lemonade!
Heather in Calgary
Keep smiling :)
TM since Sept. 06, 2003
Sew
Site Moderator

Postby Lori in OR » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:17 pm

I opened this thread thinking you were going to describe what I have going on, but I actually have something different: I feel like the muscle on the bottom of my foot (under the arch) is contracting, and thus my toes are being pulled down toward the ball of my foot. You can't see anything; it's just a sensation and I don't know how to stretch it out.

Don't even get me started about the charley horse problem! :ymsigh:

Lori
(my first post to the forum! I'll have to introduce myself in another thread...)
Lori in OR

Postby marieke » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi Lori,
It may not be a matter of needing to stretch it out if there is no visible movement or actual spasm/cramping. It sounds like it is actually just neuropathic sensations (neuro pain/feelings).
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Muscle Spasms, weakness or paralysis