TOPAMAX, anyone taking this med?

discuss symptoms related to arms, legs, torso and neck; solutions and what works for you

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

TOPAMAX, anyone taking this med?

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:28 am

Greetings,

I was hoping to hear back from anyone taking TOPAMAX for muscle spasms or nerve pain. My doctor is suggesting it for my muscle spasms. Baclofen is not helping much anymore and valium has helped in the past is not now!

My muscle spasms are more like muscle contractions. Almost every evening one of my legs contract every 18 seconds. They tighten up and curl inward???

Please help me. If you are taking, how much and how often and what are your side effects and is it helping.

Thank you for your reply,

Rob
I got TM on March 24th, 2002. It took me in 48 hours and left me paralyzed to the chest. Came home in a wheelchair after a 2 month hospital stay. I can walk now with the help of a cane and have the usual residuals.
Rob

Re: TOPAMAX, anyone taking this med?

Postby marieke » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:14 am

Hi Rob,
It won't do anything for your spasms.. not sure why your doc suggested this... Is he a neuro or phsyiatrist or just a General Practitioner?
It will help with neuro pain though. If the Baclofen is not working, ask him/her about Zanaflex (tizanidine). This is the 2nd most commonly used drug for spasticity/spasms in spinal cord injury.

The max dose of Baclofen is 100-120mg a da, Zanaflex is 36mg a day and that is a HIGH dose, most people do not need that high a dose. Many of us take Zanaflex before bed, 4mg and it helps stop exactly what you describe.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:10 am

Marieke,

Thank you for your reply,

Neuro suggested it. I've tried zanaflex twice before, low dose for only a month! Didn't work. Maybe I should try it again.

Do you need to take it several times a day, or only when you have the spasms?

Rob
I got TM on March 24th, 2002. It took me in 48 hours and left me paralyzed to the chest. Came home in a wheelchair after a 2 month hospital stay. I can walk now with the help of a cane and have the usual residuals.
Rob

Postby marieke » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:52 am

You should be taking it throughout the day to make it work to it's fullest.. if you have spasms at night, you may need to only take it at that time, but maybe a higher dose than you were taking? What was the dose?
At one point, I took Zanaflex 4mg 3 times a day and 6mg at night before bed when my spasms were at the worst.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Return to Muscle Spasms, weakness or paralysis