Crutches or no crutches?

Post assistive equipment you no longer need

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Forum rules
This site is explicitly for exchanging free equipment except for the cost of shipping only. How the cost of shipping is divided is agreed upon by the individual(s) donating the equipment and the receiver(s). Selling of an item is explicitly disallowed. The TMA cannot attest to the accuracy of the description given and encourages you to check with the individual seller. The TMA assumes no responsibility for the equipment exchanged through this web site.

Crutches or no crutches?

Postby djoseph » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:38 am

I had been using a cane mainly for support for my left side, but for overall balance. Over the past few weeks, my right side has needed more help. Should I get crutches, or two canes, or what seems most convenient for you?
djoseph

Re: Crutches or no crutches?

Postby marieke » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 am

I think you would have to try them both out... or do you have access to consult an OT? They can really help you with figuring out what will work best.

I used "Canadian crutches" AKA Forearm crutches before I switched to just one cane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crutch
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Re: Crutches or no crutches?

Postby Sew » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:15 pm

I use a cane walking outside for very short distances. Otherwise I just use the walker. Makes balancing much easier.
I know a few people who have Neuropathy in their legs not TM and they find that using 2 walking poles very helpful for balance. They look like ski poles without the spikes.
As Marieke suggested if you can see an OT they will be able to advise you best.

Heather in Calgary
When given lemons, make lemonade!
Heather in Calgary
Keep smiling :)
TM since Sept. 06, 2003
Sew
Site Moderator

Return to Equipment Swap