temperature

discuss symptoms related to arms, legs, torso and neck; solutions and what works for you

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

temperature

Postby sallymsn » Tue May 11, 2010 4:57 pm

I have found that my legs get noticeably weaker when my body temperature goes up- from a hot bath, exercise, or fever. Does anyone else notice this as well?
sallymsn

Re: temperature

Postby Ellen S. » Tue May 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Definately! I've noticed that after taking a shower my right arm is very weak, so now I take a cool shower. Also, when the weather gets warmer, I have more difficulty walking. My damage is more on one side, so the heat affects that side of my body.
Ellen S.

Postby marieblond » Wed May 12, 2010 1:44 am

no, never - I like to take hot showers, because my body is often to cold. I like to continue this kneipp application of changing hot and cold as shower to the legs or bathing the feet in two small bassins. 3 min. hot, 20 sec. cold, to change 5 times and at the end leave the cold bassin. this increases the feeling in feet. best were the bassins in rehab uo to the knees. into the hot water can be put a medicine for better blood circulation.

http://www.germandeli.com/beglatfusfoo.html
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
marieblond

Postby marieke » Wed May 12, 2010 7:03 am

Heat will make you feel weaker. One needs to be very careful in the summer to not overheat as well. It's a "typical" problem in spinal cord injuries.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby fescueblue » Wed May 19, 2010 12:19 pm

marieblond wrote:no, never - I like to take hot showers, because my body is often to cold. I like to continue this kneipp application of changing hot and cold as shower to the legs or bathing the feet in two small bassins. 3 min. hot, 20 sec. cold, to change 5 times and at the end leave the cold bassin. this increases the feeling in feet. best were the bassins in rehab uo to the knees. into the hot water can be put a medicine for better blood circulation.

http://www.germandeli.com/beglatfusfoo.html

Marieblonde; We have spoken on various subjects previously, some of which raised the "ire" of others who may or may not have the ability to decide what is or isn't true to TM; mostly because its is very unkind and is never the same. I'm one year and 2 months since being diagnosed, temperature issues are the most interesting as we change seasons; mostly because my norm is now 97.6, anything close to what was the norm and I'm very uncomfortable. Because I was already a T10 para incomplete, I had learned to deal with any heat issues over the 27 years since being injured. I love the sun, and now find the shade of a tree a bit more kind. Since we've gotten rid of the "plastic KAFOs" and gone back to conventional leather; things are even better. I had my 6 month visit with my Rehab Doc 2 weeks ago, the weakness issue, especially in my left arm was at the forefront of the conversation; along with with the "greedy" owners of the orthotic lab I use who like to insist that "plastic" is just fine for everyone. My Doc who is also a professor, smurked at the idea of putting plastic orthoses on TM patients with this issue, he said that they always try; and it is based on profit. But it was very interesting to see his reaction when we spoke about our daughter with Spina Bifida and heat and temperature issues; she hasn't been ill in over a year since we took away the plastic braces. He admitted that yes since the 1950s scientists have known, as well as doctors that the contents of plastic and what it does to your endocrine system. I developed an allergy to plastic, when they made plastic splints for my hands it did a fine job blistering and peeling the skin off within days. This is not to say how wonderfully sweaty they were to sleep in even with stockingette as protection. Some day common sense will again come to the forefront, and it will be realized that we all aren't alike; we all need to be treated as an individual not like a herd of cattle with insurance... The warm showers are wonderful for my hands, its the overheating from the comforter on the bed that sends me into orbit!
fescueblue

Postby marieblond » Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 am

you are right. my opinion is from the beginning on that TM is a summery name for a certain range of disabilities and there causes....

the hope is small to make jumps in improvement... my receipts show it now. there is writtten....to do so, to maintain.... blabla...

the docs make a nebulous face or they smile as a priest in church or as st. nikolaus.

the best I could get was a receipt for 50 x water gym.... last week. this make me smile.

what the early summer does in your region?

I hope from tomorrow on it will start here. ;;)
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
marieblond

Return to Muscle Spasms, weakness or paralysis