muscle spasms

discuss symptoms related to arms, legs, torso and neck; solutions and what works for you

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

muscle spasms

Postby rkels » Tue May 19, 2009 5:22 am

I have found that magnesium, I take 200 mg or 250, at night, prevents the muscles spasms in my legs. It also helps with constipation. Maybe take less at first to see how it affects the bowels.
Also, a homeopathic called magnesium phosphate, try the 6x first, seems to have a very positive effect on muscle cramps. Never ever exceed the bottle recommendations on homeopathics as you can make symptoms worse if you take too much.
Rick
rkels

Re: muscle spasms

Postby marieke » Wed May 20, 2009 5:21 am

Also it can cause diahrrea so be careful on the amount taken.

I think that it will work if your spasms are not in excess. Many with TM have too strong spasms and spasticity so that only magnesium will not be enough though.

Always tell your doctor about any and all vitamins and supplements you take with your meds. Many can react badly with prescription medication or even certain foods. Read labels very carefully and ask your pharmacist to make sure you can take them with what you are already taking.

Thank for the info on what has helped you!
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby alexthemutt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:58 pm

I have not written in this forum before but I am desperate to find help or answers. I have had Tm for 1 year and 8 months. I am able to walk well but left with many physical problems. My biggest problem to date are itching/spasm like attacks that I get every few weeks or so. My last attack was last night that is why I am feeling so blue. The attack goes like this....it starts with an itch (around my hand or fingers) and then becomes a terrible spasm like thing that moves from my hand all the way up my arm. These episodes tend to last 30-35 minutes. While they are happening all I can do is cry and even scream. My poor husband feels so helpless! I go to the sink and run the cold water over my arm which helps but it does not take away the excruciating pain.

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there? My doctor has nothing to say about this. I have tried a pill but it has done nothing to stop this attack from going on. All it does is make me really groggy after the attack has taken place. If anyone has a suggestion I am all ears!

Thank you for listening!

Brenda

Brenda
alexthemutt

Postby marieke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Brenda,
What medication has your MD given you? Baclofen, Zanaflex..? Unfortunately there isn't one that is very effective for spasms in the upper body.

Also you would need to take the medication consistently for it to be effective not just when you get a spasm.

Warm water (hot) would be more effective in relaxing the muscles that are affected or a hot water bottle/microwave "hot" bags. (Unless you have decreased sensation and cannot tell too hot from not too hot).
marieke
Site Admin

Postby alexthemutt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I really appreciate it!

When I have an episode I have tried Hydroxyzine. I asked the neurologist for that. Last night I took two 25 mg tablets. I don't really want to be on medication all the time for that. I do take 500 mg of Neurontin. I take 200 mg in the am and 300 mg in the pm.

I will try heat. I usually use cold. In fact, I always put my hand under cold cold water. I never called this a spasm. I used to call it itching but it really is more than that. It is the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I contacted a natural path doctor who specializes in MS and she said it is the inflammation process with MS. I have had many test thus far and it is not believed to be MS. I know things can change but at this time it is merely (ha ha ) TM. Any thoughts? Am I using the right terminology by calling this a spasm? When I fist became ill (Sept/2007) I would have some spasticity in my legs. This is nothing like that.

Thanks again. Your kindness fills my heart!

Brenda
alexthemutt

Postby marieke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Does your hand/fingers tremble or jump? That would be a spasm.

If it is just odd sensations, pain, pins/needles, vice like feelings, itch.. then it is neuropathic pain.

Hydrozyne won't do anything as it is NOT an allergic reaction to anything. It is neuropathic pain cause by nerve damage from the inflammation that occured at the time. Not that there is still inflammation now.

500mg of Neurontin is NOTHING! I you take more of it throughout the day you will get better pain control and after 2-3 weeks your body will get used to side effects. If Neurontin doesn't cut it at higher doses you can try Lyrica.

Cold will help with pain, heat makes it worse usually.
marieke
Site Admin

Postby alexthemutt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Thank you so much for your kindness. That helps me a lot. It doesn't sound like it is a spasm now that I hear how you describe it. I remember having spasms early on. I am on the neurontin for much back pain but didn't think it would help with these episodes. My doctor has wanted to put me on a higher dose of Neurontin. I tried 900 mg at night only and it made me very very sleepy and caused other problems. Do you have any dosing suggestions. I value your educated opinion. I am sorry to take up so much of your time but I am pretty desperate!

Brenda
alexthemutt

Postby Sew » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Brenda,
The 900 mg at night is quite a low dose of Neurontin. I was on 3200mg per day for about 2 years. I then cut it back to 2400 mg which I am still on along with 40 mg of Baclofen and 4 mg of Zanaflex (this one only at bedtime).
Each of us takes various amounts of meds. We sort of have to see what works for us.
I know that Marieke was on Neurontin/Gabapentin then lately switched to Lyrica which worked better for her.
I tried the Lyrica but the side effects were no good. My legs swelled way too much.
I'm 63 yrs old and have had TM now for 5 1/2 yrs.
Keep posting and you are not taking anyones time up. We are all here to help.
Hugs,
Heather in Calgary
When given lemons, make lemonade!
Heather in Calgary
Keep smiling :)
TM since Sept. 06, 2003
Sew
Site Moderator

Postby marieke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:38 pm

I was on 800mg 4x a day then went down to 600mg 4x a day. Taking it 4-5 times a day keeps the level of it in the blood better and can help handle the pain better. Yes at first you will feel more tired with it, that is why you should go up on it slowly over a 1-2 weeks period (or even 3 weeks), then it takes another few weeks for your body to adjust to it. It's worth trying/asking your neuro about.

I switched to Lyrica b/c the Neurontin was not cutting it even at the higher doses. I now take 150mg of Lyrica in the morning and 300mg at night. Lyrica works in 2-3 doses whereas Neurontin doesn't work as well that way. If you decided to try Lyrica, you will be started off with 75mg in the AM and 75 at night (or even 50mg).
marieke
Site Admin

Postby alexthemutt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Thank you very much Marieke and Heather! I am so thrilled to receive such kindness. I know your time is valuable! I am ever so grateful and I will consider it all. This is not an easy disease, for sure. I will most likely increase my Neurontin. It will be interesting!

Hugs and kisses to you both!

Brenda
alexthemutt

Postby crewmaya7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Brenda I had the same sensation (hot, itchy, pain) in my left arm during my first TM attack. It lasted for a week or so and then went away. I'm left with little feeling in that shoulder and I can still get pain and itchiness in that arm, but it has lessened a bit. It was unbearable though, I hope these symptoms go away for you soon. Best, Mariah
crewmaya7

Postby alexthemutt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Mariah,

Thanks for your comment. It is so nice to have good people to relate to. I have yet to find anyone who has had this exact thing. It attacks me so that I can't stop from crying and screaming and I have a pretty good pain threshold. If this lasted with me for more than my usual 35 minutes, I would have to be hospitalized. This is the harshest thing that I have had to deal with as far as TM. I am sorry you have lost feeling in that shoulder. That sucks! I hope are improving all the time. You are so nice to reply.

Brenda
alexthemutt

Postby olive hearts » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:35 am

Wow, it is so nice to feel like I am not alone.

Shortly after the onset of my TM 10 years ago, I used to have the most excruciating muscle spasms that would kind of start burning and tingling up my arms and then engulf my entire body. My head would feel like it was on fire. I couldn't even stand up during one; if I was standing, I would usually fall and start crying. I was on Neurontin and Baclofen and Zanaflex too for a while, but nothing seemed to work... They stopped a few months later and I have no idea why.

Brenda, I hope that your condition improves. It's such an awful thing to go through.
olive hearts

Postby alexthemutt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

Olive,

Thank you very much for your comments! Thanks for understanding, although I wish you did not have to go through something so terrible too! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness to write! I hope you are doing better. It sounds like you are in this area. I hope that continues!

I have been very happy to have not had an episode of this itching/spasm like thing in a couple of months. I think the last one was when I listed my problem on the site. I have cut out all Niacin and I am thinking it is helping. I had to read all my vitamins carefully to make sure they do not contain any niacin product. So far...so good!

I am happy to have something good to say. I hope I am lucky and they don't come back. Gosh, we all have enough to deal with!!!

Take care!

Brenda
alexthemutt

Postby evans908 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:06 am

Hi,

Well last night while laying in bed I experienced my first episode of muscle spasms, both of my thighs and my stomach were twitching out of control lasting 5 minutes then abating for a couple of minutes before starting up again. I took my night dose of neurontin (600mg) and the spasms subsided. ( I dont know if it was the neurontin or they just stopped)

That was a little scary, to say the least !!!!

Bob
evans908

Next

Return to Muscle Spasms, weakness or paralysis