Benzodiazapenes and muscle spasms

discuss symptoms related to arms, legs, torso and neck; solutions and what works for you

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Benzodiazapenes and muscle spasms

Postby estommel » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:27 pm

I've tried a littany of meds for muscle spasms including baclofin, flexoril, neurontin, etc.

I'm a strong believer in the benzodiazepines that work directly on the receptor. All those drugs that end in PAM....diazapam (Valium), lorazepam, ect.

I happen to be bipolar and take the valium for acute anxiety, but I find them very useful in reducing spasm and relaxing skeletal muscles.

There is a dependence factor, but the drug doesn't do anything special for me. Of course it can Never be mixed with alcohol.

Anyone else swear by the drug they use for spasms ?
"Nothing ever fatigues me, except that which I dislike."
- Jane Austen
estommel@yahoo.com
http://home.comcast.net/~eric_stommel01
estommel

Re: Benzodiazapenes and muscle spasms

Postby marieke » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Have you tried Zanaflex (Tizanidine)?
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby Vonnii » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi, I have been using Benzos for years and I know I wouldn't get through each day without them. They work really well with sleeping and yes they definately work on the reseptors!! I find they also help steaddy me up somewhat and I have no intention of ever coming off them. The only downside is short and long term memory loss which can be frustrating! I find I can function ok on them in general and would definately put it out there to everyone with TM to look into taking them as part of their sympton management with their doctors advice of course. :-)
Vonnii

Postby katndog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm

I can't take Zanaflex, it knocks me out cold even at the lowest dose. It also wrecks what little balance I have. I do; however, take Klonopin for spasticity, along with a host of other drugs and am able to get a synergistic effect from the combination that helps more than anything alone, even at a high dosage did.
I want my hands back . . . my garden needs me :)
katndog

Postby Vonnii » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:38 pm

Vonnii wrote:Hi, I have been using Benzos for years and I know I wouldn't get through each day without them. They work really well with sleeping and yes they definately work on the reseptors!! I find they also help steaddy me up somewhat and I have no intention of ever coming off them. The only downside is short and long term memory loss which can be frustrating! I find I can function ok on them in general and would definately put it out there to everyone with TM to look into taking them as part of their sympton management with their doctors advice of course. :-)
Vonnii

Postby estommel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:59 am

As supported, Benzodiazapines seem to help me with skeletal muscles spasms, despite the
fact that I use them primaily for bipolar mania.

Great points made about the other drugs used for peripheral neuropathy by the board director
and expert RN. Her advice has helped me greatly through my first six months of TM.

I am newly in a wheelchair w/ bowel & bladder Neurosis. Essentially paralized from umbilicus down, and elbow down in my arms.

q:

As a formet athlete, I wonder if others like me have realized the reduction in BMR (Basal metabolic rate) as a result of being wheelchair bound and burning less calories.

Cheers.
E
Last edited by estommel on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jane Austen
estommel@yahoo.com
estommel

Postby marieke » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi E,
Thank you for the compliment!

I agree with you about the lower BMR, I was a competitive figure skater and after TM was in a wheelchair for over a yer, gained 30 lbs. Once I started walking I lost it all and more... Then when I am inactive (like when I had 6 weeks off from nursing school during the xmas vacation) I gain weight again...
marieke
Site Admin

Postby estommel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Marieke & Others,

Yes, M , you are WAY ahead of me in terms of this challenge.

I try each day to accomplish A,B,C. This includes basics of cleaning

up, changing clothes, etc.

A health care professional myself, I do not reccomend Valium and its sister drugs

in light of addictive properties.

Opiates (many pain killers) are another story altogether. Drugs such as Vikodin, Norco, Oxycontin,
etc. are very dangerous. Abuse of these can easily result in death.

In summary, my butt hurts like a monkey. If you, like me, are using a treatment, you may be
familiar with Trypsin, USP. A good linament for decutitus sores of the bottom.

E.
Last edited by estommel on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jane Austen
estommel@yahoo.com
estommel

Postby marieke » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:49 pm

No, never heard of Trypsin.. what does it do? Used for exactly?
marieke
Site Admin

Ointment for Pressure Sores

Postby estommel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Surely somebody there has tried this for skin injuries:

Trypsin Complex Ointment (USP)- RX Only
"For injured skin treatment due to pressure ulcers"

Has worked very well for me. In combination with proper
cushion, reduced stage II to zero....
- Jane Austen
estommel@yahoo.com
estommel

Postby Vonnii » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:08 am

Yes I agree Valium and all benzos are addictive, however, how does addiction factor into the equation when your disability is permanent and the medications help! Surely addiction is the least of your worries when you have TM. With regular consultation with your GP and sensible management of these medications it can only continue to make life more comfortable. I currently take Clonazepam nightly at a dose of 4mg. This is the higher end of the scale for me but needed as here in Oz it is hot and I'm going through a rough patch because of the weather. When the weather cools down I will wean myself down to 1 to 2 mg and only increase the dose when abosolutely necessary. Addiction is an entirely different ball game when the drug is needed as opposed to taken for the sake of it. Covering ears and waiting for the bullets ;)
Vonnii

Postby Lynne » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 am

Vonnii,
I have to say that I totally agree with your post. I think there is a big difference between addiction and dependence. You can be come dependent on any of these medications when you need and are taking them for a valid medical reason, but I see no reason not to take them because of this.

Dont know about elsewhere but in the US pain is still highly under treated because of the fear of people becoming dependent on medications. Just doesnt seem right to me when as a member of the medical community I was taught to take any complaints of pain seriously and to treat it the best we could.

Guess if the bullets start flying I will be catching a few of them for you now
:))
Lynne
Support Group Leader

Postby Vonnii » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:25 am

Lynne,

Thanks for your understanding and support. I am definately standing my ground on this one even if it means I have to keep increasing doses to maintain the same outcome. My GP is fantastic and is aware of the doses I take and supports me. There have been several times during short vacations in hosipital where other doctors and nurses raise their eyebrows during meds rounds and often ask me if I'm sure the doses are correct! My Husband is super supportive as well and he too will catch bullets for me. Once again thanks!
Vonnii

Return to Muscle Spasms, weakness or paralysis