Don't know what to call this...

discuss symptoms related to arms, legs, torso and neck; solutions and what works for you

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Don't know what to call this...

Postby othy180 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi,

So I've been having this problem with my leg lately, and I don't know what it is. What happens is that my foot will point straight down (like I'm on my tip-toes) and then it gets stuck like that. Despite my best efforts, my toes stay pointed, and it becomes very painful. The pain is mostly in my calf muscle, but it is quite uncomfortable in my foot as well. This problem generally only happens at night or I will wake up at 2 or even 3 in the morning with it occurring. Does anyone know what this is called? Or perhaps why it is happening?

Additionally, it's not that my foot gets stuck in this position, it's just that I can not physically control it to go back to it's normal position. In order to do so i have to stand up and put weight on my foot to go back to normal.

If anyone has any clue what I'm talking about or can help me understand in any way it would be greatly appreciated!

-Tim
othy180

Re: Don't know what to call this...

Postby marieke » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:36 pm

It sounds like a spasm. Do you have TM? If so, is it only one foot or both? Any other body parts do this?
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby othy180 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Yeah, I've had TM for four years now. It's not really a spasm... my legs normally are very spastic (specifically at night), but generally it's just a slight twitch of my leg. These are really painful and prolonged, and my foot gets stuck in that position.
othy180

Postby marieke » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:32 am

It is a spasm.. I get strong ones like that in my ankle/knee as well. I have to physically bend it with my hands to "break" the spasm.

Do you take any meds for spasms/spasticity? Baclofen or Zanaflex? I ended up needing Botox to help with the ankle and knee.. 7-10 shots every 4 months, but it does help.
marieke
Site Admin

Postby othy180 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:04 am

I was originally on Baclofen for two years and I took some other drugs as well. My biggest thing with Baclofen was that it never did anything... we upped the dose during numerous appointments with my neurologist and after a while i wasn't sure if it was actually helping or if I just didn't have any problems. When I went off, nothing changed. I'm not big on taking drugs to mask problems... if something is wrong with your body, the pain is a sign of it, and just covering up the problem doesn't really solve the bigger picture.
othy180

Postby marieke » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:21 am

Not in this case though.. for spinal cord injury you sometimes have to "cover" it up to function better. Without meds I would be flat on my back in pain and not walking.

And with spinal cord damage you can't "solve the problem" as in fixing it as it is permanent damage, not like pain from a broken bone that signals a problem that can be fixed.
marieke
Site Admin

Postby Lynne » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:47 am

I have to agree with Marieke, I'm not a big fan of meds either, but without them I don't think I would even be able to get out of bed.
Lynne
Support Group Leader

Return to Muscle Spasms, weakness or paralysis