Online chat

discuss news articles about people living with myelitis

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Based on GMT time — which time would best suit you for online chat?

Weekday morning
9%
Weekday afternoon
16%
Weekday evening
10%
Friday evening
7%
Saturday morning
7%
Saturday afternoon
7%
Saturday evening
14%
Sunday morning
4%
Sunday afternoon
10%
Sunday evening
16%

Total votes : 70

Online chat

Postby May » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 pm

We have a chat function here that we don't use very often. Since traffic on here is pretty slow, the chances of a group of us just happening to be online at the same time is slim, so maybe we could see by the poll below if there are certain times when we could pre-arrange to go to the chat room for half an hour or so. Scoobs and I used it last night and it was great to chat in real time.

When choosing a poll option, please base it on GMT. If you want to compare your time zone against GMT, you can use http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/. If you indicate Sat evening above, you could note in the comments, the specific time(s) you'd prefer.

You can choose multiple options, so for example if you are very flexible, you can choose all.
Diagnosed with TM 09/05/2008
May

Re: Online chat

Postby jlubin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Great idea May! Thanks for posting this.
Jim Lubin
TM onset in 1989 at age 21, level C2, vent dependent quad
jlubin
Site Admin

Postby May » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Jim: I thought it would be a good idea too. But there haven't been a whole lot of responses so far. Although the poll shows 20 responses, this doesn't translate into 20 people. I figure that most people voted on more than one option, I know I did.

So far most people chose the option weekday afternoons. I suppose weekdays are easier in a sense that most people know where they will be on a particular weekday, but at weekends, one's plans tend to vary from one weekend to the next.

So those of you who voted for weekday afternoon -- if we scheduled a chat at 4PM GMT, what day would suit? 4PM GMT (Europe switches to summer time until next weekend) would be morning for those of us in the US and Canada -- noon for those of us on the east coast and 9AM on the West Coast (Jim). Agh, I see that would be an ungodly 5AM for Shirley in New Zealand.
May

Postby Shirley » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm not good in the mornings, so 5am would be in the middle of the night for me. LOL. I have been completely forgetful re the chat time, sorry guys. I'm on Skype both w/e evenings (UK mornings) so to log into the chat room would be OK. I'm also available most evenings during the week, if I'm working the next day, then no I'm not. Lots of variables here.

Thank you May for posting this thread, I'll go along with whatever you choose, sometimes you just have to make a time and day, it's not always going to suit everybody.

Cheers
Keep well

Shirley

TM since 2003 - 90% recovered
Shirley
Site Moderator

Postby May » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 am

Shirley, I think you're right. I'll just suggest a couple of different times.

First I had a look at the forum membership list. I just looked at those with 25 or more posts, which includes active members (50+ posts). There may be some people listed below who no longer post or visit and there may be some newer members omitted even though they have posted recently. By region, the list breaks down like this:

AsiaPac
New Zealand (GMT+13)—Shirley
Australia, east coast (GMT+10)—Louise E, Janette

Europe
Croatia? (GMT+1)—Tomislav
Germany (GMT+1)—Marieblonde
UK (GMT)—Rox, Hev, heather1987, wilky50, Scoobs, heatherss99, PeteVickers

United States/Canada
Canada, Montreal (GMT-5)—Marieke
Canada, Alberta (GMT-6)—Sew
Canada, British Columbia (GMT-8)—Ann
United States (GMT-5)—Lynne, StormyRenee, May, Jo Ike, Heather, Tony, jmaygers, OnGodspath, othy180
United States (GMT-6)—timu, estommel, azdudley
United States (GMT-7)—Linda C, 3BoyMama, MegCO, Rob
United States (GMT-8)—jlubin, bchambers, Helevitia, Sarah Nguyen, Scooter-girl, sdu4, Sheryl

Some members don't list their location, so unless I could find it easily in their messages, they are omitted from this this list.
May

Postby May » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:12 pm

It's hard to see any suitable time of day when some of us are not likely to be tucked up in our beds, without even allowing for all the other variables such as being busy at work. Really the only overlapping daytime slot to suit all regions would be something like this:

But mornings don't suit Shirley in New Zealand.

Anyway, I'm going to suggest a meeting time:

Tomorrow Thursday at 8PM GMT. This will be 9AM (Friday) for Shirley, sorry it's still early Friday morning in Australia, 9PM Thursday for Marie and Tomislav, 4PM Thursday for Marieke and those on the East Coast of the US. Others please add or subtract hours accordingly. I'll check into the chatroom at that time. Let's see how many attendees we get. Maybe we can set up a regular weekly chat-time.

I just noticed that the chat room was in use as I was writing this. I barged in to find Hunter and Tak from Germany. They said that they have a regularly scheduled chat on Wednesday evenings. They said Marie (Marieblonde) is a regular.
May

Postby Shirley » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Thank you again, May, for doing this very complicated plan on the chat room. I will get myself going ok for my Friday morning, I have a hair appt for 9.45 but it gives me 30mins in the chat room.

I didn't know about the wednesday night meeting there. Anyway I'm pleased it's being used, Jim is such a wizard, Marieke, as well, had a huge imput into the setting it up. Thanks guys, we really appreciate what you do for us mere mortals!! lol.

:)
Keep well

Shirley

Shirley
Site Moderator

Postby May » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Shirley: looking forward to "seeing" you then. LOL, I probably made the plan far too complicated. And even with planning and pulling all the member info into a Google spreadsheet, I've undoubtedly gotten a lot of the time zones wrong. This weekend they switch to summer time in Europe, while the switch was a couple of weeks ago here in the US, making things even more confusing. I was also getting confused between UTC time and GMT time. I used to think they were the same thing, now I realize they are not.
May

Postby May » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:41 am

Shirley, Sew and I had a nice online chat yesterday at 8PM GMT. Might repeat again next Thursday at the same time (actually that will be 9PM GMT because of switch to Summer time, 4PM EST, 9AM Fri in New Zealand). Anyone interested?
May

Postby Sew » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:46 am

To May and Shirley,
Sorry the chat was short yesterday. I did not just leave. I would have chatted longer but all of a sudden I could not post anymore and never heard anymore from either of you. Not sure why. I wondered if the chat had quit.
Did you find that??
Heather (aka Sew)
When given lemons, make lemonade!
Heather in Calgary
Keep smiling :)
TM since Sept. 06, 2003
Sew
Site Moderator

Postby May » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:24 am

Yes, I had problems too. For a while I thought I was typing messages to you both and you were just silent. :-o Then I realized that I'd been automatically logged out of www.myelitis.org so maybe that bumped me out of chat too. I logged back into that,then logged into chat again and Shirley was still there. I thought it was just me as I continued to have problems with my internet connection last night.
May

Postby Sew » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi May,
Guess it wasn't just me then. Maybe we will see each other on here again.
I'm on Facebook and there are LOTS of TMer's on there. We can chat there too.
Heather
When given lemons, make lemonade!
Heather in Calgary
Keep smiling :)
TM since Sept. 06, 2003
Sew
Site Moderator

Postby Shirley » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi May and Heather,
I had problems too. I had to exit out of the site and come in again, it seemed to work ok then. We'll try again next next if thats ok with you two., and anyone else who wants to join in.

Cheers
Keep well

Shirley

Shirley
Site Moderator

Postby wilky50 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am

Hi all,

I would find a lot of the time we would miss each other (time differences etc), so I went for most mornings and saturday evening, I am also on fb and maybe a few of us could find each other on there.
wilky50

Postby Shirley » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:28 am

Where do you live Wilky?
Keep well

Shirley

Shirley
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Myelitis in the News