Behvavior in Young Child after ADEM

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Behvavior in Young Child after ADEM

Postby kckteach » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:19 pm

My 3 year old was diagnosed with ADEM in November. (She was 2 at the time.) Her recovery has been rather amazing but about once or twice a month she has what we are calling "episode" of uncontrolled behavior. She will laugh hystericaly, lose control of her bladder, run around, flail her body, and just generally be out of control. This is NOT her norm. I feel frustrated because the doctors keep telling me they don't know why it is happening and I KNOW that is isn't just bad behavior. It is very different from her typically 3-year old pattern. Anyone else experienced this or have any thoughts? Thanks!
kckteach

Re: Behvavior in Young Child after ADEM

Postby ChristyThompson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 am

I too have a 3 year old (girl) who is recovering from ADEM. She has recovered completely (meaning she can function physically and cognitively at or above her age leve) But she still takes anti-seizure medication. She does have "extreme emotions" at times. Similar to what you describe. Although we haven't had problems with loss of bladder control. We have felt like her irritability and other extreme emotions were a result of the anti-seizure meds that she is taking. You can read more about her story at http://www.neelysmiracle.com if you are interested in specifics.
ChristyThompson

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)