Vaccines after ADEM?

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Vaccines after ADEM?

Postby earthvibes06 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:36 am

My 11 month old son was diagnosed with ADEM earlier this month. I have been trying to research if it is dangerous for him to get his one year vaccines, and others after that. I keep reading that the MMR shot can trigger ADEM. So if he already has ADEM, and we know that his immune system could potentially react to the MMR shot, then I would think he shouldn't get it?
I asked our pediatrian and she doesn't see why he shouldn't get it. My concern is that out of the 5 doctors at the pediatric office we go to, none of them have ever seen ADEM in their entire career.
He is on a steroid taper right now so he's not getting any shots until that's done, but does anyone have any advice on this?
earthvibes06

Re: Vaccines after ADEM?

Postby SCOTTS » Mon May 31, 2010 7:47 am

MY NAME IS SCOTT MY SON MATHEW WAS DIG WITH ADEM AT 12 MO 2 1/2 WEEKS AFTER MMR SHOT. THE NEURO DOC SAID IT WAS DUE TO SHOTS. I WOULD NOT GET ANY MORE SHOTS!!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE SHOTS TO GO TO DAYCARE OR SCHOOL LIKE MOST PEOPLE SAY GO TO THE HEALTH DEPT AND GET A RELEASE FORM. I HOPE YOUR SON GETS BETTER SOON !
SCOTTS

Postby kckteach » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:27 pm

My 2 year old had ADEM in November. I talked with my doctor and decided she will have no more immunizations until she is completely cleared. It usually takes up to 12 months for all the swelling to completely go down. I am personally taken no chances of a relaspe! I will continue her immunizations after she is cleared.
kckteach

Postby earthvibes06 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:23 pm

So here's an update of what I've researched with my son's pediatrician. Since his attack happened at 11 months, he hasn't had his one year shots yet. I have been told now that he cannot have any vaccines until at least 3 months after the episode. This is to eliminate confusion if he had a reaction to a vaccine verses a relapse of ADEM. He cannot have any live vaccines ever again in his life. This being the live intranasal flu vaccine, MMR, oral polio, etc...

A lot of doctors told me that it "should" be fine for my son to get the vaccines, but it proves important to really research something like vaccines before you give/get them. I was lucky to find a pedi neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic that specializes in demylinating disorders and my doctor contacted him. He told our pediatrician that the 'national concencious", since there aren't too many documentated cases of ADEM, is to treat an ADEM patient the same way you would treat an MS patient, in regards to vaccines.

I hope this helps anyone else out there that has had this question about vaccines.
earthvibes06

Postby Trentsmom » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:17 am

Thank You for posting the question and all the replies.

My son presented with ADEM at 12 months 5 days. It was nine weeks post DTaP and Flu. His neuro in Mexico said to wait at least 6 months. His Pediatrician didn't know. His Neuro here in the US thought it would be fine too. Their responsed were too wishy washy for me to continue vaccinations. So we've stopped completely. I, ( the guardian) am the one that has to sign on the dotted line for the vaccines that I understand and take full responsibility for adverse affects. Having lived through my sons ADEM episode once, I'm don't want to take a chance again. All the doctors, nurses and school staff look at me sideways, but I don't care. They have not walked a mile in my shoes or have a special needs son to advocate and care for.

If you do decide to vaccinate, there is a doctor at the University of Washington ( can't remember his name) that has some very specific guidelines for Vaccination. One at a time, No live viruses. I found his recommendations on an Autism site founded by Jenny McCarthy. I'll see if I can find it and add to this post.

Also, there are many alternative, natural, herbal supports out there to help the body move through an episode of a childhood disease; Chicken pox, Measles, etc. Contact a local herbalist or naturopath and get educated and confident with these "alternatives" I don't feel so helpless anymore now that I have more than one tool in my toolbox.

Blessings.
Trentsmom

Postby marieke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Just be careful about ANYTHING on the Jenny McCarthy site! What she preaches about autism and vaccines has actually be scientifically proven to be false!

As for vaccinating after ADEM (or ANY autoimmune disorder), it should ALWAYS be one at a time at the very least! Live vaccines can be avoided, especially I would think in kids. For adults it may be a bit different.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby Trentsmom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:13 am

Heres the informative read that I was talking about in my previous post.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller15.html
User friendly Vaccine schedule by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

Those are great recommendations Marieke. Very similar to the ones by cited in the article above. The unfortunate piece to this is that no doctor has giving out that advice in my experience. They have all pushed the CDC schedule. First, you need the knowledge that these vaccines are available separately and that you have the right to control the when, which ones and how much. You really need to stand your ground on this otherwise they'll just stick your kid with a needle and send you on your merry way.
Trentsmom

Postby kmsinlex » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 pm

I cannot offer any advice relating to a child with ADEM, but I am an adult (62 YO) who was diagnosed with ADEM about 14 months ago. I have recovered from the initial attack and have improved greatly, but still have some fairly significant and unpleasant side effects. About 8 - 10 months ago I had a yearly flu vaccine and, a month later, had the H1N1 vaccine. I had no reaction to or impacts from the regular flu vaccine, which is a killed virus. After the H1N1 vaccine, I did sleep for the better part of two days, but this vaccine contains a live, attenuated virus.

For your child, I would have a good discussion with as many Doctors as you can ask. There are some risks with everything, but the reason we have vaccines is that they keep us from getting some pretty serious diseases. It's important to make an informed decision.
kmsinlex

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)