Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Constraint Induced Therapy

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Constraint Induced Therapy

Postby Trentsmom » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:30 am

Has anyone tried HBOT Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy? After my 12 month old son's initial episode, I looked into it. Now that we are three years post and we have a better picture of the developmental delays his attack has caused, I am looking into HBOT again.

Some of the off label uses for HBOT are for Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Multiple sclerosis and Near Drowning. My now four-year-old son is left with developmental delays in gross motor, fine motor, adaptive, and speech. He also has mild hemi-parisis. His ADEM journey started with unconsciousness and not breathing for an unspecified amount of time. His brain may have been deprived of oxygen.

We also did a constraint Induced Therapy CIT camp. A full arm cast was put on his strong side for 3 weeks to force the use of the weaker side. The results were amazing. He not only gained better use of his weaker hand but also experiences huge gains in his cognative, speech and sensory awareness. He now feels hot and cold and wet and dry.

The CIT camp was not mentioned, pushed or recommended by any of his doctors or therapists. I totally pushed to make it happen. I hope that our experience can help some others out there. Don't wait or rely on your Dr's or Therapists to lead the way to recovery. Keep trying alternatives, off labels and keep sharing!
Trentsmom

Re: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Constraint Induced Therapy

Postby marieke » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:49 pm

I know another child who did CIT Camp due to her having a bilateral obstetric brachial plexus palsy and she too had amazing gains from it.

I am glad to hear that your son did too :)
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)