Posttraumatic stress and depression.

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Posttraumatic stress and depression.

Postby lenem » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi

My name is Lene. I am a 32 year old female from Norway. I was diagnosed with autoimmune encephalomyelitis in september 2006. The inflammation was in my spinal cord (of course), brain stem, corpus collum and the right thalamus. I was paralyzed from the chest and down, lost bladder and bowel control and was in a lot of pain. After many tests they found no virus or bacteria (I did have a varicella zoster infection 4-6 weeks prior to this desease). The doctors put me on 90 mg. Prednisolone a day and I started to recover. I was in the hospital for 10 weeks or so, a lot of the first weeks are kinda blurry. I had to learn how to walk again, my balance, skinsensation and how to control my legs was completely off and I was sent to rehabilitation for 4 weeks. I had to be catheterized and I still have to use a catheter to this day.

My son was 18 months at the time and I lost a lot of contact with him during my stay at the hospital and rehab.

Today I struggle with some fatigue and keeping my concentration up over periods of time. I am much slower than I used to be mentally because of this. I struggle quite a lot psychologically after this desease. I am depressed and have huge mood swings. They say I have posttraumatic stress disorder and I am possibly bipolar, whitch if latent in your genes (I have this in my family) can be triggered after a traumatic experience. It is very difficult to say if my symptoms are stress related, bipolar related, and also they have found that some of it is direct damage to the brain after the desease of course. They have told me that I probably will have to live with some of these symptoms. I now use Lamictal 400 mg. a day and that kinda helps the moodswings somewhat, but I still struggle with my daily life. I do not work, but I had a fulltime job before my illness. I am going to neuropsychological physiotherapy also.

Does anyone else struggle with any of these problems? I am really quite down and don't know what the future will bring in terms of work etc. I am not me anymore. I should also say that I have a history of depression before this happened.
lenem

Re: Posttraumatic stress and depression.

Postby marieke » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi, Many of us have depression after getting TM. What you have is not TM but worse in some ways as it affected your brain as well. It sounds like it may not be easy to see what is affecting what (is it the disease, or bipolar...?)
Sometimes one antidepressant may not work so another needs to be tried.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)