Neuromuscular electrical stimulation for ADEM recovery

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Neuromuscular electrical stimulation for ADEM recovery

Postby Trentsmom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:35 am

My three and a half year old son is now two and a half years post acute episode of ADEM. He is developmentally delayed in gross motor, fine motor, cognative, and expressive language. He has limited use of his arms, hands and fingers. His Neurologist in Mexico just prescribed Electrical stimulation for his arms and hands to increase strength and dexterity. He thinks that 14 daily treatments should produce some significant improvements. Has anyone tried this before? Who performed it and what were the outcomes?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Alison
Trentsmom

Re: Neuromuscular electrical stimulation for ADEM recovery

Postby marieke » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:46 am

I used NMES after I got TM for my ankle and knee (quads). It worked for the quads somewhat and no the ankle.

It depends on how much weakness is due to muscle atrophy or no nerve signals getting to the muscle. If it's weak b/c of he nerve damage then you won't see much return. If it's just from muscle atrophy then you will get better results.

Not sure about 14 sessions a day though.. I would also talk to a physical therapist.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Postby Trentsmom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Well, it is worth a try to make some gains. I think the Neuro meant daily therapy for about two weeks will produce results. I found a Children's therapy group today that is familiar with ESTIM and uses it regularly for patients. We have a couple of options through them. They do the therapy, and train us to do it at home and may have loaner units. They also have several Spanish speaking therapist that can talk with the Neuro and Rehab doctor in Mexico and get exact details and results they have realized.

Another thought. It helps to know the different acromyms for therapies. You get so much more information using a different search term sometimes. I searched electrostimulation and didn't get to much. After I typed in ESTIM I found many more articles . I will try NMES now too.

Thanks for the reply

Alison
Trentsmom

Postby marieke » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:23 am

NMES is just another term used to describe ESTIM, which is short for NeuroMuscular Electrical Stimulation

Mine is a TENS and NMES combo unit. It can do both, so is very useful when I have pain (usually lower back) I can use it for that too.

http://www.2care4medical.com/index.cfm? ... uctID=1440

This is the one I have.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)