ADEM in Para Sport

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

ADEM in Para Sport

Postby gerry » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi

Is there anyone else out there with ADEM who competes in any Para sports?

Although I have been ill for three and a half years I have only just been diagnosed with ADEM. I have been a para equestrian rider for eigheen months and have been asked to compete for Ireland but up until now the international classification committee would not recognise my previous diagnosis of Clinically Isolated Syndrome and I am beginning to wonder if they will be more sympathetic to ADEM. My level of disability is not in question- three times I have been profiled in the most disabled class for riding but for some reason they say they need more evidence of my condition.

What can I do, can anybody help?

Gerry
gerry

Re: ADEM in Para Sport

Postby marieke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Can you get your neurologist to write up a report about it?
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Re: ADEM in Para Sport

Postby May » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:04 am

Hi Gerry:

I hope you get to represent Ireland!

This is an interesting question. I never realized that there would be a kind of handicap system for para-athletes but of course it makes sense that there would have to be.

You've probably seen "A Brief Guide to the Profiling System & Classification of Paralympic Riders under International Paralympic Equestrian Committee (I.P.E.C) Rules" http://www.ipec-athletes.de/index.php?o ... view&id=25

It would seem that your medical diagnosis (ADEM) would just be used as a starting point, but that ultimately the classification would be determined by two Para Equestrian accredited classifiers. But a report from a neurologist should be helpful so they know what deficits to look for.

They say:
Riders with recovering and deteriorating conditions (for example, multiple sclerosis) must be reclassified within six months of a Major Championship. They may be reassessed at these events and in cases of recovery or further deterioration, moved to a higher or lower Grade respectively.

I'm guessing ADEM would be treated similarly.
Diagnosed with TM 09/05/2008
May

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)