26yr old M with ADEM

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

26yr old M with ADEM

Postby mlamb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:37 am

Michael Lamb is a 26-year-old man who was recently diagnosed with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). Michael is a newlywed with a 2 ½ year old boy and a daughter on the way (due August 20th).

Michael’s bout with ADEM began on May 29th when he fell unconscious. He was transported by ambulance to the hospital where we live. It took about ten days to figure out what had happened to him and get his diagnosis. Since then we have sought out a second opinion that confirmed the diagnosis of ADEM as given by our original neurologist. Since this diagnosis Michael has faced the usual struggles that any ADEM patient has to conquer. He is improving slowly and we are hopeful to get him transferred from ICU to a rehab facility to get on the long road to recovery.

We are seeking to raise funds for Michael's rehabilitation at a local rehab facility. We don't have insurance and Medicaid ran out around two weeks after this began in May.

Michael is the father of a young boy and he has a wife who is about to give birth to their daughter. We are trying to get him out of ICU and into a facility that can give him the attention he needs and understands the problems associated with ADEM and rehab.

Any words of support, advice or encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Please visit our website we have set up for a little more info on Michael or we are on Facebook under Michael Lamb Fund and now on this site.

Thanks

http://www.giveforward.org/michaellambfund
mlamb

Re: 26yr old M with ADEM

Postby mlamb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:50 am

Just a follow up... if anyone experienced problems with pneumonia in their hospital stay I would be interested to hear about it. In our case, Michael is having recurrent fluid buildup in his lungs which is something i'm not seeing in other people's cases... any ideas are appreciated
mlamb

Re: 26yr old M with ADEM

Postby tkeys » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:15 pm

I want to just offer some encouragement. I am a 23 year old female. I was diagnosed in Feb. of this year. I was in the hospital about a month, then rehab outpatient until a couple weeks ago. I am about 90% recovered now. I will not lie, it is a difficult road. I had to go through muscle spasms, re-learning to walk, urinary problems, lots of therapy, but I made it. I am going to live a meaningful life again so it's worth the pain and struggle. I wish him the best, and strength through the tough times. I know the initial couple months are difficult because symptoms constantly change and you don''t know what to expect next. Good luck and God bless.
tkeys

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)