origin of ADEM

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

origin of ADEM

Postby marie1950 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:30 pm

[list=][/list] First of all I am writing about my 31 year old daughter. She is the mother of three young sons. Her symptoms were first noticed by family members 14 days after her 16 mos old son's mmr and varicella vaccinations. She underwent much testing (which I am sure you all have) and finally on the 13th of May she was told by her doctor that in his opinion she has ADEM contracted via diaper changing of her baby who received the shots. He said he could not prove it. Her doctor is in Pittsburgh, he teaches, lectures, and has written books on ADEM. It is his specialty. Has anyone else ever heard of ADEM being contracted this way? Is there a way to prove it came from her son's vaccine? Thank you for being here.
marie1950

Re: origin of ADEM

Postby marieke » Sat May 16, 2009 7:50 pm

To contract it due to her baby's vaccines from a diaper change seems a little "out-there", considering only about 1% of recipients of patients who get the varicella vaccine develop a mild form of the disease, consisting of a limited rash, most often with only 5-6 blisters. (this would be the child getting it then passing it to mom, which then sets off the autoimmune reaction setting off ADEM). ..

I don't know, I would not think it could be proven. It is so rare to be able to prove how anyone gets it.
Marieke RN (TM at T1 March 18, 2004 @ age 28 )
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com/
marieke
Site Admin

Re: origin of ADEM

Postby kmsinlex » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Not only is it almost impossible to prove a cause of ADEM, if the treatment helps and the patient improves, the doctors aren't motivated to pin down the cause. They are just happy that this patient has improved and now it's onto the next patient.

In my case, the neurologists suspected a viral case and they identified a higher than normal amout of antibodies in my blood for the Epstein-Barr virus. But after treatment, they had no interest in retesting to see if the levels dropped because they said that, at that point, it didn't really matter.
kmsinlex

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)