Question about when ADEM patients can be discharged

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

Question about when ADEM patients can be discharged

Postby Elvira » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:39 pm

My sister is 45 years old and was recently diagnosed with ADEM. She has been hospitalized since March 14 in a hospital in Taiwan. According to the doctor, she has responded well to the treatment of steroids and has completed the cycle of treatment and there is nothing more the doctor can do to improve her condition. Now the doctor wants to discharge her from the hospital but wants her to do physical therapy and rehabilitation and come back for checkups. My father does not believe that she should be discharged from the hospital because she is still on the feeding tube (through her nostril to the stomach), etc. He is fighting to keep her in the hospital by transferring her to another hospital. My family members are having disagreement about this issue. Information about when the right time is for ADEM patients to go home will help us make the right decision. At this stage, my sister cannot speak (except two words on one occasion during a physical therapy session) nor can she control her bladder or bowl movements. However, she has started to move her left hand and left leg, and can stand for a few seconds. My question is: is it safe for an ADEM patient to go home in her condition (i.e., in a feeding tube)? I will greatly appreciate any information you can provide.
Elvira

Re: Question about when ADEM patients can be discharged

Postby Lynne » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:59 am

Sounds to me like instead of looking at discharging her home they should be looking at having her transfered to a rehab facility. She will need intensive therapy and it will be very difficult, if not impossible to provide that in a home setting. Part of the thearpy should involve speech therapy which will work no only with her speech but with feeding issues.
Hope this helps.
Lynne
Lynne
Support Group Leader

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)