ADEM AND ME

involves demyelination in the spinal cord and in the brain. The demyelination in the brain is different than a demyelinating attack from MS; the lesions are scattered and do not appear in the same pattern as those from an MS attack.

Moderators: marieke, jlubin

ADEM AND ME

Postby akjosh » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 pm

I was diagnosed with adem back in Jan 10th of 09. I feel after reading much of the stories posted very blessed. My docs quickly diagnosed adem within days and treated with a 5 day steriod coarse. I had complete loss of my right side, speech, sight, i was very irratable, lost all abilities to multitask, mild apraxia, severe headaches, painful neck.

My right side has come back, not perfect, gets tired easily, occasional tremors. My docs think i'm also impulsive now and want to continue with a neuro pysch test. Anybody have experiences with this?

Im also am antsy to get back to work, this has been a topic of debate with both work and docs. I hold a high level position, in the investment world (good time to be out) with a fidicuary respondsibility to my clients there is some major concern with my cognitive abilities. Im scared i might not be able to return, and this is my world, something i've worked very hard to accomplish at 26.

I see my rehab doc today, hopefully he can tell me that I can drive and give me an outline and an idea of my work abilities from all the testing ive done.

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
akjosh

Re: ADEM AND ME

Postby edward » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 am

I had ADEM in March of 2008, I was in a coma for 8 days and in the hospital for 16 days. I was paralyzed from the waist down when I came out of a coma. Today I can walk and run and work out. I forced myself back to work asap. I worked out 3x's per day 6 days a week.
Today I have nerve pain in one leg but its bearable and spasms at night for a little while before bed. Other than that Iam back. You will get it all back dont worry it just takes time.
edward

Re: ADEM AND ME

Postby carrieanne » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:07 am

I know you've probably been told this but honestly, the best way to heal is to really take care of yourself. make sure you sleep at least 8 hours a night, this is VERY important. Exercise a little each day even though it makes you tired--get an elliptical for your home so you can just go to bed right after if necessary. Drink lots of water, take a good vitamin but beware of iron since you are a. male (this is an assumption) and b. possibly have bowel problems? Play Text Twist (online at Yahoo games)to exercise your brain, play Scrabble with a friend or family member, do math problems ( I homeschool my kids so I know there are plenty of free sites for this, just Google for some)--I had major short term memory problems and such until I started exercising my brain as well as my body. Now I am only occasionally scatterbrained but that just comes with being a 32 year old mom, usally linked to PMSing, lol, and I am also on a candida detox which makes me a bit more scatterbrained than usual--I stopped caring for myself for a while and ate junk and drank cokes and too much coffee and no exercise and it has taken its toll and now I am having to work super hard to help undo the damage I have done to am already damaged body.

You have worked hard already to get to where you want career-wise. It will take some more hard work but from the tone of your post, you can do it and I think you will do it. Give yourself a couple of weeks of really caring for yourself. it does take a lot of self-discipline and will power but honestly, I don;t think you'll have much of a problem accomplishing it.

Good luck to you and I wish you the best!
Carrie
34 year old mom to 4
ADEM January 2007
carrieanne

Return to Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)